<< Return to Careers page
Position: Sanitation Technician
Location: 4787 Kinnamon Road, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
Schedule: 7:30 am until done
Summary of Role & Responsibilities
The Sanitation Technician position is a sanitation based member of the Production Department. The Sanitation Technician position is chiefly responsible for cleaning and sanitizing Joyce Farms poultry production plant to meet Quality Control standards imposed by applicable government agencies, such as USDA.
Essential Job Functions/Duties
Below is a brief outline of the essential job functions and duties, which may be adjusted by management from time to time.
- Clean and sanitize first processing areas after slaughter and evisceration operations, to include walls, floors, ceilings, and equipment.
- Clean and sanitize cooler and dock areas, to include walls, floors, and ceilings, in accordance with maintenance schedule.
- Ensure outside grounds are clean in accordance with maintenance schedule.
- Complete all paperwork daily to include sanitation records for USDA verification in an accurate and legible manner.
- Disassemble and Reassemble equipment when necessary to configure for production operations.
- Perform pre-wash cleaning of area to include dry pickup of meat and trash.
- Squeegee floors and shovel excess product into condemn barrels.
- Comply with all lock out tag out procedures to safely deactivate assigned equipment.
- Pre-rinse, apply soap foam, and rinse assigned equipment and areas.
- Self-inspect areas for cleaning adequacy, notify QA for final inspection. Complete condemned product dumps in accordance with Offall Schedule.
- Maintain inventory by identifying, labeling and placing material and supplies at work stations.
- Locates materials and supplies by pulling and verifying materials and supplies listed on Pick-List.
- Maintains in-process inventory at work centers by delivering and opening materials and supplies.
- Prepares finished stock for shipment by identifying, pulling, packing, and securing product.
- Ensure housekeeping is maintained in a cooler and further processing room.
Qualifications & Education Requirements
High school graduate or equivalent required, but relevant work experience may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Prior production experience preferred, but not required.
- Active Listening – Giving full attention to what Material Leads and Supervisor are saying, taking time to understand points being made, and asking questions as appropriate.
- Good oral and written communication skills – talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Good analytical and problems solving skills – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Good computer skills preferred, but not required.
- Will primarily work in a production environment, and must be able to transition from wet and cold to dry and dusty environments without issue.
- May be required to lift, push, pull 50 pounds within an 8 hour or more period.
- May be required to frequently sit, stand or walk within an 8 hour or more period.
- Must spend time using hands to handle, control, cut and feel products within an 8 hour or more period.
- Must wear PPE such as safety shoes, glasses, hearing protection.
- Must be analytical and think critically.
- Must be self-motivated and able to motivate others.
- Must be able to follow instructions and provide results.
- Must be a self-starter.
- Must maintain professionalism and grow leaders through positive reinforcement.
- Must possess and present a strong work ethic.
- Dependability – Job requires being reliable, responsible, dependable, and fulfilling of obligations.
- Attention to Detail – Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work task.
- Cooperation – Job requires team work and displaying good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Self-Control – Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in difficult situations.
- Achievement/Effort – Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks.
Joyce Farms is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All positions are at-will. This organization participates in E-Verify.